Friday, February 22, 2013

The Dream Hunter - Sherrilyn Kenyon (Dream Hunter #1)

The Dream Hunter (Dream-Hunter, #1; Dark-Hunter, #11)The Dream Hunter by Sherrilyn Kenyon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In the ethereal world of dreams, there are champions who fight to protect the dreamer and there are demons who prey on them... 

Arik is such a predator. Condemned by the gods to live eternity without emotions, Arik can only feel when he's in the dreams of others. For thousands of years, he's drifted through the human unconscious, searching for sensation. Now he's finally found a dreamer whose vivid mind can fill his emptiness.

Dr. Megeara Kafieri watched her father ruin himself and his reputation as he searched to prove Atlantis was real. Her deathbed promise to him to salvage his reputation has now brought her to Greece where she intends to prove once and for all that the fabled island is right where her father said it was. But frustration and bad luck dog her every step. Especially the day they find a stranger floating in the sea. His is a face she's seen many times.... in her dreams. 

What she doesn't know is that Arik holds more than the ancient secrets that can help her find the mythical isle of Atlantis. He has made a pact with the god Hades: In exchange for two weeks as a mortal man, he must return to Olympus with a human soul. Megeara's soul. 

With a secret society out to ruin her expedition, and mysterious accidents that keep threatening her life, Megeara refuses to quit. She knows she's getting closer to Atlantis and as she does, she stumbles onto the truth of what Arik really is.

For Arik his quest is no longer simple. No human can know of a Dream-Hunter's existence. His dream of being mortal has quickly turned into his own nightmare and the only way to save himself will be to sacrifice the very thing he wanted to be human for. The only question is, will he?


Originally, my plan was to skip all the Dream Hunter stories because of all the not-so-encouraging reviews about them. A lot said they were decent stories but nowhere near as good as Were-Hunter or Dark Hunter novels. I read this one because I wanted to give the Dream-Hunters a shot before completely forgetting about them.

This book gave me a deeper understanding of what Dream-Hunters are and the part they play in the world of SK. The curse that was cast on them stated that they were no longer supposed to experience emotions. This led to some of them going renegade and siphoning off too much from humans who dream vividly during their sleep. I don't feel like Dream-Hunters have enough pain or torment, unlike their, Dark-Hunter or Were-Hunter brethren. Maybe this is the reason why most people think that Dream-Hunter books aren't as strongly written.

Arik was an ok character. He didn't stand out to me. Megeara's character had promise but again, I think she could have been written a lot better. I can't even comment on their love story for the lack thereof. There were characters that I did like. Solin seems to me is going to be an interesting read. I want to know more about him. And of course, fifteen year old Tory. I've been prepping myself for when I finally read Acheron. I'm so excited I feel like I've speed read through the other books. Speaking of Acheron, the final chapter was actually a good way to tie things up to what readers have read through the earlier books.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment